Monday, June 21, 2010

Second Bayfront Sunday postponed

Like many of you, I woke up last Sunday excited to try out Bayfront Sunday, having discussed with the kids whether they’d like to bike, scooter, or walk along our waterfront. Unfortunately, when I went outside to get the newspaper very early, I was hit by a wall of humidity. We did go down and try it out, but the kids wilted pretty fast (and I was pretty hot, too). I’ve heard from several of you that you, too, had planned to go, but you just couldn’t get out of the air conditioning (or perhaps the pool).

The positive response that I have received from so many who are excited about this type of programming is at odds with the low turnout we had last Sunday. The original idea was for these trials to start in April, a much more humane month, and I believe that the heat of the summer was too much of a deterrence. Therefore, the city has decided to postpone the second trial, originally scheduled for this coming Sunday, June 27, until the fall, possibly October. Keep your eyes peeled for more information. And do remember there is still a sidewalk, so do come down and enjoy the waterfront whenever you have a chance.